Williams Brothers of Sheffield (Williams Fasteners)

Williams Brothers of Sheffield (Williams Fasteners), Green Lane and Dun Fields, Kelham Island, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, 2010
• After closing in 1997, this works became popular with urban explorers, who reported a plethora of cupboards. Established in 1870, the firm still exists on the outskirts of Sheffield, though it parted ways with the Williams family in 2005.  

Williams Brothers of Sheffield (Williams Fasteners)

Williams Brothers of Sheffield (Williams Fasteners)

Williams Brothers of Sheffield (Williams Fasteners)

Williams Brothers of Sheffield (Williams Fasteners)

White Star Cafe, Harland & Wolff

White Star Cafe, Harland & Wolff Ltd Shipbuilding and Engineering Works, circa 56 Regent Road, Liverpool L3, 2008
• Transport cafe in former Liverpool HQ of the firm that built the Titanic; it sold a eponymous breakfast, and was often visited by nostalgic former workers. The cafe closed in 2013, so the building could be demolished to make way for a container depot – the full shocking story is here

White Star Cafe

White Star Cafe

 

O. & C. Butcher

O. & C. Butcher, 129-131 High Street, Aldeburgh, Suffolk, 2014
• Established over 100 years ago and still supplying red trousers to the locals, a handsome traditional emporium of a type that’s getting rare. The shop’s website is here and there are historic pictures of its changing appearance here.

O. & C. Butcher

O. & C. Butcher

O. & C. Butcher

O. & C. Butcher

O. & C. Butcher

O. & C. Butcher

The Black Horse (Aldeburgh)

The Black Horse, 257 High Street, Aldeburgh, Suffolk, 2014
• First licenced to sell beer in 1843, this ivy-capped wreck was once (reputedly) a major smuggling inn. By 1988 it was The Black Horse Antiques, as shown here (see the “Gallery” page, and note old horse plaque above door which is now hidden by foliage). The premises currently has a planning application and a digger in the back yard, so is doubtless due to be tarted up.

The Black Horse

The Black Horse

D.R. Warehouse Ltd

D.R. Warehouse Ltd, Crowngate House, 60-64 Great Hampton Street, Birmingham, 2013
• One of many magnificent Jewellery Quarter buildings, a grade II listed ex-factory by Dunn, Dallas & Lloyd circa 1912. Currently houses a knitwear merchant, but I couldn’t find out what it originally made. The new shopfronts certainly un-enhance it; apparently it looks best from Well Street. There’s some scanty info here and a hard-to-read article about it and nine other great Brum buildings here

D.R. Warehouse Ltd

Parkers

Parkers, 13 Oxford Street, Whitstable, Kent, 2002
• None of those namby-pamby filter tips for the salty seadogs of Folkestone. The gallery next door shows which way the wind was blowing; Parkers, which I think used to be a confectioner or small grocer, is now a craft jewellery gallery (and they don’t dispay their wares in a cigarette machine).

Parkers

Parkers

Parkers

Frederick Pratt & Son

Frederick Pratt & Son, 32 Brighton Road, Salfords, Redhill, Surrey, 2002
• Good old-fashioned name, but now even the car in front is knackered. Founded 1948 and shuttered 2003, it used to be a well-known bike shop which manufactured its own frames – there are articles about it here and here. It’s now a kebab shop.

Frederick Pratt & Son

Wozencroft

Wozencroft, 59 Osmaston Road, Derby, Derbyshire, 2010
• Lovely old script for Wozencroft, an Anglo Saxon name associated with Woolstencroft in Cheshire. Established in 1956, the shop is still there, and on Google Street View you can even go inside it to admire the nice mid-century wood panelling.

Wozencroft

Hawkes

Hawkes, 99b High Street, Poole, Dorset, 2004
• High quality 1960s frontage, complete with a tiled hawk sign on the floor (just visible) and some French onions outside. Once the largest store on  Poole High Street, Hawkes the Bootmaker was founded 1847 and closed for good in 2005, with its original fittings ending up in the local museum. There’s some more info here, an oral history by the ex-manageress here, and a blog about historic Poole High Street here.

Hawkes

Hawkes

Hawkes

Floor Cover (Chicken Cottage)

“Floor Cover” ghost sign, Chicken Cottage, 177-179 Rye Lane, Borough of Southwark, London SE15, 2010
• Presumably a larger sign was pulled away complete with plaster, revealing the ghost sign beneath on this picturesquely grimy wall.

Floor Cover

Floor Cover

Wicker Pharmacy

Wicker Pharmacy, 55-59 Wicker, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, 2010
• More 1960s marble on a building which started life as a Midland Bank. The pharmacy, founded  by a consortium of local chemists in 1952 and open every day since, moved into the bank in 2004 due to a road replacing their old premises – there’s a history here.

Wicker Pharmacy

H. Stain Ltd

H. Stain Ltd, 207 Victoria Street, City of Westminster, London SW1, 2004
• What a pity marble shopfronts like this went out of fashion; happily this magnificent 1960s-style jewellers lives on still, just round the corner from yesterday’s sadder example.

H. Stain

H. Stain

H. Stain

H. Stain

Gordons the Jewellers

Gordons the Jewellers, 27 Strutton Ground, City of Westminster, London SW1, 2012 & 2007
• Last days for this old-style jeweller which looked on the verge of closure even five years ago (bottom). It’s now an Abokado cafe.

Gordons the Jewellers

Gordons the Jewellers

Gordons the Jewellers